Homeopathy is a form of alternative medicine which is based on the hypothesis that substances that cause certain symptoms in a healthy person can also cure those same symptoms in someone who is sick. ‘Homeo’ means similar and ‘pathy’ means disease. A German physician Samuel Hahnemann founded it around 1800.
Homeopathy bases its cures on the fact that every person in the world has a different mental, physical and emotional setup. So, as a homeopathy doctor, you can’t cure a person unless you find out his/her constitution. The uniqueness of this form of treatment lies in the fact that it believes in treating the whole person rather than the illness alone.
Homeopathy is both a complementary and alternative medicine. The profile of homeopathy is rising and opportunities are growing as more and more people are becoming disillusioned with modern medicine approaches. There is a constantly growing demand for safer alternatives to the drug and surgery based approaches .
Homeopathy is a demanding occupation. The holistic nature of treatment means clients may confide personal and emotional problems. Building up a practice can be an interesting and challenging process. Some practitioners complement their work by offering other therapies, such as massage, aromatherapy, acupuncture, kinesiology or nutrition.
What do homeopaths do?
Homeopaths treat people with a wide range of medical conditions. They take a ‘holistic’ approach – looking at the individual’s life as a whole, rather than just their physical symptoms. Clients come for help with a wide variety of complaints – from relatively minor conditions, e.g. headache, toothache or insomnia, to potentially more serious illnesses, e.g. asthma or arthritis.
The job entails:
- meeting patients and asking questions about their condition and their wider lives
- choosing the most appropriate method of applying homeopathy.
- choosing a remedy most likely to work for each patient – either a one-off remedy or a course of treatment
- explaining how to take and store the remedy supplied
- advising on diet and other lifestyle factors
- monitoring the patient’s progress, through phone calls, email or further consultation
- keeping patient records
- advertising and publicising the practice, perhaps through talks or seminars
- managing the business accounts
- keeping up to date with developments in homeopathy and other health issues.
- Mentoring and Supervising Homeopathic students
Professional Skills – A homeopath needs to:
- have a strong belief in, and commitment to, homeopathy
- an interest in alternative and complementary approaches to health
- a concern about conventional medical treatment and its side-effects
- knowledgeable about disease processes and homeopathic remedies
- responsive to clients’ personal issues and problems, but remain professional
- a good manager
Personal Skills:– A homeopath needs to:
- an enquiring mind and a willingness to learn
- be a good listener, skilled at explaining complex issues in a simple manner
- be able to inspire trust, and build a rapport with all kinds of people
- analytical, non-judgmental
- confident, enthusiastic and energetic to promote and build a practice.
Educational Qualification for Homeopathic Doctor
To be eligible for joining BHMS/DHMS course one should be 10+2 Class pass with Physics, chemistry and Biology (PCB) as main subjects and for institutions with at least 50% marks. In addition candidates also should have had English as a compulsory subject at the 10+2 level.
How to become a Homeopathic Doctor?
Interested candidate has to appear in an entrance tests conducted by the various state and Independent bodies to admit candidates in various medical institutions like (A.M.Shaikh Homoeopathic Medical College, Belgaum, (Karnataka) Aadya Shri Nigalingeshwar Shikshana Sansthe’s, S.B. Shirkoli Homoeopathic Medical College, Belgaum, (Karnataka) Ahmednagar Homoeopathic Medical College, Ahmednagar, (Maharashtra) Ahmedabad Homoeopathic Medical College, Ahmedabad, (Gujarat) attached with it according to the rank of the candidate in the entrance exam.
These exams are generally held in the month of May-June and consists of Objective type questions on the subject of English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology though number of questions and pattern may vary from test to test.
The results of these exams are generally out by June/July
After completing this four and half years of (BHMS) Degree course and one years or six months compulsory training one can opt. for some job is private or state run hospitals as junior doctor or go for privates practice after obtaining the necessary affiliation with respective medical councils or go for higher specialized studies in the respective fields.
Fees and other Expenditures:
Although varying from college to college, the total course fee for an BHMS degree ranges from anywhere from few thousands at a government college to around Rs 3 lac.
Homeopathic Doctor Career Prospects
There is a lot of scope for those who are joining medicine as career in the present scenario. Apart from joining a private or government hospital, younger Homeopathic doctors can find lucrative placements with huge salaries in corporate hospitals.
Homeopathic Doctor Salary
Homeopathic doctor can expect to get a starting salary anywhere between Rs.15,000 to Rs.25,000 depending upon the competence of the individual doctor There is a lot of money in private practice as well and it only gets better for candidates as they win the trust of the patients and the goodwill is spread by word of mouth to attract more patients to the clinic.
A couple of years dedicated work and some experience along with a master’s degree could lead a Homeopathic doctor to a huge pay package. There is no upper ceiling to the earnings of a competent and capable doctor. One can also be a visiting Homeopath at several hospitals and charge by the hour.
Homeopathy has also gained from the fact that people are beginning to shy away from allopathic medicines because of its side effects and strong doses that upset the body’s equilibrium. Homeopathic medicines are inexpensive, safe and easy to use, which makes homeopathy even more popular among the masses.
If you plan to study homeopathy, contact Student Visa Expert. We can help you choosing a right college for you in India and Abroad.