Cyprus: A note on student visa and work permits
Every student should be in possession of the relevant permit issued by the Civil Archive and Migration Department. The student visa is issued for a specific educational institution. In case of the foreign student deciding to change an educational institution, one must then obtain a new residence permit.
School attendance is compulsory and concerns the programmes and disciplines of study approved by the Ministry of Education and Culture.
International students from non EU countries need a student visa for entry to Cyprus. Student visas are issued only to full-time international students. A full-time student is one who takes a minimum of 12 credits in a semester.
Student visas can be issued either by an Embassy/ High Commission/ Consulate of the Republic of Cyprus in the candidate’s home country or by the Migration Department in Cyprus.
Applications for the issue of entry and work permits in general categories of employment are submitted to the Civil Registry and Migration Department by the intended employer, through the respective District Aliens and Immigration Branch of the Police, on condition that the foreigners are abroad. The applications should be accompanied by a work contract stamped by the Department of Labour of the Ministry of Labour and Social Insurance. The said Ministry is competent to examine whether regarding the specific profession or job there are no available or adequately qualified Cypriots and then to make a recommendation for employment of aliens. The applications are forwarded to the Civil Registry and Migration Department and after they are examined and it is established that there is nothing against the foreigners which prevents their entry into Cyprus, the relevant entry and work permits are issued.
1. Application on forms M.58 and M.64
2. A photocopy of foreigner’s passport
3. A clean criminal record certificate of the foreigner
4. Medical certificates of the foreigner
5. A Bank letter of guarantee for 200-500 Cyprus Pounds, depending on the country of origin of the foreigner, to cover possible repatriation expenses, valid for six months after the expiration of the work contract
6. A work contract stamped by the Department of Labour of the Ministry of Labour and Social Insurance and stamped with a revenue stamp from the Revenue Stamps Registrar.
7. A fee of 20 Cyprus Pounds for submission of application
Renewal of residence and work permits
For the renewal of the Temporary Residence and Work Permit of the foreigners, it is necessary to submit an application on form M.61 through the District Aliens and Immigration Branch of the Police and to pay a fee of 20 Cyprus Pounds. Before the submission of the application the foreigner is registered at the District Aliens and Immigration Branch of the Police. For this registration the foreigner’s passport, three photographs of his/her and a fee of 20 Cyprus Pounds should be presented.